Monday, November 4, 2013

New Kid at Jones Junior High

by Bill Anthony, Class of 1961



I moved from the east side of Columbus to Upper Arlington when I started ninth grade in 1957. I went out for the football team. We had our organizational meeting at the field house on the track at the old high school (Jones Junior High). Of course I was very nervous going to a new school, but so were others since we were all entering the ninth grade. What really made an impression on me was how friendly everyone was. I especially remember both Bonnie Henry (Self) and Bev Mayhan (Clawson) making a point to come up and talk with me on that first day. That made an impression with me and now when I encounter a new person hired at work or a new neighbor, I always go out of my way to make them feel welcome. In fact, for years, I have organized our tailgate parties here at the College of Business at Florida State University and make it a point to personally invite all the new faculty joining us each year.  At least I learned one thing in 9th grade! 

 
Jones Junior High 
 (Image courtesy of the UA Archives, www.uaarchives.org)



No comments:

Post a Comment